Middle School STEM Camp - Help! I Need A Marine Engineer (Downloadable Materials)
- Science 6.9C
- Math 6.1A
The TEKS listed above are the primary objectives covered in this STEM camp, but teachers of other grade levels can easily adapt the content to better serve students at other grade levels.
Transportation by ship is the most fuel-efficient means to transport goods, however, it is still a major cause of pollution. Sea born trade is responsible for the emission of 120 million tons of Carbon Dioxide per year. In order to protect our environment, today’s marine engineers are tasked with designing more energy-efficient boats. This unit offers students an opportunity to design a remote control boat (prototype) that will be responsible for transporting goods from one location to another successfully while remaining within an assigned budget.
- Help! I Need A Marine Engineer - STEM Camp Overview (PDF)
- Help! I Need A Marine Engineer Project Launch Presentation (Google Slides)
- Student Design Brief (Google Doc)
- Engineering Design Notebook (Google Doc)
- Expanding Energy Inc. Budget Scenarios (PDF)
- Help! I Need A Marine Engineer Materials/Pricing List (PDF)
Middle School STEM Camp - Help! I Need A Marine Engineer was developed by the Advanced Academics and Curriculum Resources team at Region 13.
We Also Recommend
Algebra I Mini Interventions Site License: Linear Equations and Inequalities (Downloadable PDF)
Algebra I Mini Interventions Site License: Quadratics, Exponential Functions, and Algebraic Methods (Downloadable PDF)